This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

SMPlayer settings for system equalizer

Any kind of documentation (manuals, howtos, tips...) about the usage of SMPlayer.

SMPlayer settings for system equalizer

Postby brittney24 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:53 pm

Decided to take PulseAudio or PulseEffects equalizer for a spin. I'm guessing the answers to exactly what SMP settings need changing are much the same for either of those system wide equalizers vs. SMP's audio equalizer?

1. In General / Audio, pretty sure need to uncheck "Enable the audio equalizer" (native one in SMP).
And leave "Global audio equalizer" checked. Any other settings you can think of that need changing, give a holla.

2. Which Output driver is a bit more confusing. I have an X-Fi Titanium sound card & Mint uses Alsa / Pulse, so "Pulse (Alsa output.pci.xxx.02.xxx Analog Stereo" is a valid option.
When PulseAudio equalizer installs, it adds driver "Pulse (ladspa_output.mbeq.1197.mebq). Don't know yet what the output driver name will be if install PulseEffects. Maybe same, since both use LADSPA.

A word of serious caution, when switching from SMP's equalizer & the sound card as output device, to PulseAudio output driver & the Pulse LADSPA EQ as output device. A couple of times, it changed the ALSA plugin's vol (mplayer's) from 30% to 100%. It must be a bug. The vol is considerably louder w/ PulseAudio EQ, anyway - so that's crazy.
I had headphones on and...wait, WHAT? Speak up. What's all the fuss over sex & violins on TV??
I already had tinnitus - I'm sure it's worse.

On Mint 18.1, either output driver works, but I'm guessing the "Pulse (ladspa.output..." is right choice, as volume & clarity is increased more when I select it. The volume increased so much, I could barely move SMP's volume slider - from off - before it's too loud. That's w/ system vol (from tray icon) set @ 14%. SMP's pref - max amplification = 110.

Turns out w/ this system vol. control app in Mint, no music apps' vol levels are seen until they're playing - before the app's vol level can be adjusted. You have to open the sound settings UI - a few levels in.
After adjusting ALSA's vol, media players' vol controls should be fine.
Can't we all just get along? If a computer crashes when no one's around, does it make a sound?
brittney24

Return to Documentation