This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Remote control commands

Any kind of documentation (manuals, howtos, tips...) about the usage of SMPlayer.

Remote control commands

Postby chris » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Thank you for maintaining SMPlayer… it’s awesome, in my opinion.

I am having trouble with some remote control commands, and I can’t find documentation on them. The two things I want to do with smplayer via command line that I can't figure out how to do are:
(1) Find out what song/video is currently playing and (if possible) what the status of that play is (paused, stopped, playing, and time).
(2) Go to a specific song/video located in the current playlist (designated by me, as an argument).

Of the 250 commands, I can’t find any that will do #1. Is this possible?

There are a couple commands that look like they might do #2 (e.g. load_audio_file, open_file, open_url), but none appear to do anything. When I try to feed them an argument, as shown below, the media does not change (nothing changes). I have tried this both through tcp and via command line with the -send-action argument prefix.

$ telnet localhost 8000
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
SMPlayer 0.6.9 (SVN r3447)
Type help for a list of commands
f open_file /media/song.mp3
OK, function sent to GUI

Thanks!
chris

Re: Remote control commands

Postby rvm » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:13 pm

(1) In preferences -> advanced -> logs, there's an option to save the mplayer output to a file, if you read that file you can get info about the file playing.

(2) I'm afraid it's not possible. You can use the actions pl_prev and pl_next, but it's not possible to specify the number of a item in the playlist. Although you can open it with its name: smplayer /media/song.mp3
rvm
Site Admin

Return to Documentation