[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SMPlayer Support Forum • View topic - The future of Youtube support, should it be removed?

This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

The future of Youtube support, should it be removed?

Forum to talk about the development of SMTube (code, patches...).

The future of Youtube support, should it be removed?

Postby rvm » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Maybe you already know, Youtube doesn't support anymore the API that smtube was using. I don't feel like working to support the new API. First of all (if I'm not wrong) the new API requieres to register the application with Google, and so it's necessary to abide their terms of use, which of course don't allow to download videos. So a smtube using the new API won't be able to download videos (which I think it's its most interesting feature).

Maybe it would be better to implement a plugin for web browsers to add a "play in smplayer" button in sites supported by mpv/youtube-dl.

And regarding smplayer, since mpv+youtube-dl already can play youtube videos, maybe it would be better to remove the current support for youtube in the smplayer code. Or, if people still want to play youtube videos with mplayer, maybe smplayer should call youtube-dl to get the youtube URLs. This way I wouldn't have to update the "youtube code" twice a week.
rvm
Site Admin

Re: The future of Youtube support, should it be removed?

Postby blodsugare » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:03 pm

I find smtube browser good add-on I always watch videos via smtube on my older computer as they being reproduced with much better play speed etc. it's not just about downloading videos I've never even downloaded videos using any of its features there are lots of tools for that and terminal commands like `youtube-dl` but I prefer smtube for video playback.
blodsugare

Postby zzd10h » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:25 pm

It's very sad that SMTube will not work soon...

It was the better way to stream/download videos under AmigaOS4.

Nevertheless, thank you very much, rvm, for these years of SMTube support.
zzd10h

Postby samo79 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:54 pm

I'm using SMTube a lot and almost everyday, it will be sad :?
samo79

Postby psykicko » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:20 pm

Im using SMTube since zzd10h ported it to AmigaOS4. Its a cool player that starts mplayer. As our browsers are slow with youtube built in using mplayer i can play bigger resolutions with less stuttering and continue to surf while watching/listening to youtube from smtube/mplayer.

I respect whatever you do but if you stop with it ill sure miss it :)
psykicko

Postby astrofra » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the (most excellent) Firefox plugin named "Ant video downloader" might be using some alternate technique to fetch a video stream out of Youtube ?

Pardon me if my suggestion turns out to be irrelevant :|
astrofra

Postby rvm » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:33 pm

There's another plugin for Firefox ("") which can be configured to open the Youtube videos (or from other sites) with SMPlayer.

openwith.png
openwith.png (182.27 KiB) Viewed 32905 times
rvm
Site Admin

Postby mbrantley » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:51 am

Oh no! This makes me very sad. smTube is the very best way to look at YouTube videos using AmigaOS 4.1 for me. Really, it's the only decent way. I love the download functionality particularly. Hope there is some way for smTube to be saved, but it does not sound good.
mbrantley

Postby redxii » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:14 am

Build SMTube with API sans recording and have SMPlayer call ytdl to download a video, SMTube won't be the one doing it.

This looks interesting https://github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui/releases but I can understand not wanting to dl 40MB of extras.
redxii

Postby ddni » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:51 am

Vary disappointed that YouTube are making changes like this.
smtube is an excellent application that I use everyday on AmigaOS4.1
It is the best way of viewing YouTube on this system.

I really hope that smtube development can continue and work around these issues.
ddni

Next

Return to Development