This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

No automatic deinterlacing? - Feature request

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

No automatic deinterlacing? - Feature request

Postby Xenos » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:23 pm

Hi,

Just a few days ago I came across an interlaced video that I had to play.
I didn't now at first, but when I noticed the annoying horizontal lines during movement, I checked the file with MediaInfo, because SMPlayer's "Information and properties" does not display neither scan type nor scan order, and it revealed that it was actually interlaced TFF.

I went to Options --> Preferences --> General --> Video
and I set "Deinterlace by default" to Yadif (my favorite).

Then, as expected, the video played fine.

However, when I played the next few videos which were progressive, I noticed that their image was not as sharp as it should, they all seemed a little blurry.
I realized that I had left "Deinterlace by default" to Yadif, so I set it back to None. Then the progressive videos looked sharp, but the interlaced video (and of course any interlaced video) displayed those awful horizontal lines.

So, I wonder, is there a way to set Deinterlacing to automatic (like for example in VLC and PotPlayer) so that the selected deinterlacing mode is only activated when an interlaced video is played? Or is there a way to have it always on, but without affecting progressive videos?
I'm sure you understand that it's not either convenient or efficient having to check every video before playback and then set Deiterlacing mode accordingly.

Could you please implement this option to "Deinterlacing" (something like Always on, Always off, Automatic)?
And also, could you add the scan type and scan order to the "Information and properties"?

Thank you very much in advance,
Xenos
Xenos

Re: No automatic deinterlacing? - Feature request

Postby rvm » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:01 am

Instead of using that option in preferences, use the menu video -> deinterlace -> yadif (or whatever) while playing a video, and the deinterlacing will only be used for that video.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby Xenos » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:52 pm

Hi,
thanks for the quick response.
I know I can do that, but this means I have to check every video before playing it. Especially in classes, I can't let it play, wait to see if there is "combing" and then activate deinterlacing. Also in case I have to show multiple files (like most of the times) where there might be progr. and interlaced videos mixed, it would be a mess.
When I'm watching something by myself it's not a big deal, but when I'm showing material to others, I want the screening to be as smoothly and as professionally as possible.

I hope you will consider implementing auto-deinterlacing at some point in the future.

Regards,
Xenos
Xenos

Postby rvm » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:20 pm

I understand the problem, however in order to implement it either mpv or mplayer have to support this, and I'm not sure they do.
rvm
Site Admin

Return to General