This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Touchscreen issues

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Touchscreen issues

Postby yanchimental » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:05 am

Hello and good day. I've been using SMPlayer for years, amazing player and all and blew mpchc outta the water for computer playback.

However only recently I bought a 2 in 1 Windows tablet, and tablet mode was rather unpolished if I were to be honest. The issues are:

1. Sliding works two ways at the same time, if I were to slide horizontally to seek the video, then if I were to slide ever slightly up or down it will start changing volume, and stop seeking. This, combined with issue 2 makes seeking by slide very difficult. If only one direction works at a time, like horizontal only sliding or vertical only sliding, it will be much more usable.
2. Seeking by sliding is way too sensitive, like moving my finger around 1 cm to the right would seek it forward 1 to 2 minutes ahead, I was thinking maybe 3 or 5 seconds increment would've worked better.
3. Almost all icons are too small on a high dpi 200%. Kindly check the attached image.
4. Icons and buttons follow high dpi but not sliders, this makes sliding with a finger much harder because sliders, even in tablet mode, still follow mouse logic: in order to fine tune sliding the cursor has to be exactly on top of the slider (not the bar) but since the slider is really small, it is hard to do so. sliding on the bar does not work the same way. Kindly check the attached image.
5.a. Not really an issue, rather just a question, is it possible to assign double tap (or click) on left or right side of the video to seek back or forward, respectively, just like in current youtube player in both web and mobile version?

All these issues are reproducible with a mouse, because from what I can conclude, tablet mode does not specifically cater to touch inputs, flicks, and so on. It just adds additional mouse control.

Don't get me wrong, I love this player, but I feel like tablet mode could really use some more work. I believe it can get better. Thank you very much.
Attachments
Untitled_proc.jpg
Untitled_proc.jpg (307.6 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
yanchimental

Re: Touchscreen issues

Postby Ranger545 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:52 pm

Well, I'm actually quite satisfied by the tablet mode as I somehow got SMPlayer to display as a desktop PC version on my tablet (was it because it runs on a Windows OS?) and was pleasantly surprised by how much better the tablet mode is for that purpose (yes, surprising, I know.)

However, it's true that your ideas would make it even better and easier to use! I mean, right now, I'm working on an investment strategy for these flats in Montenegro and using SMPlayer to play music on my tablet at the same time, and I sometimes have to spend more time than I'd want to on the tablet due to finger accuracy issues.
Ranger545

Return to General