[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SMPlayer Support Forum • View topic - Any possibility of adding "start muted" or "start at vol nn"

This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Any possibility of adding "start muted" or "start at vol nn"

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Any possibility of adding "start muted" or "start at vol nn"

Postby brittney24 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:12 pm

As I mentioned a few weeks ago in a post (0 replies), SMPlayer plays from a fraction to 1 or 2 sec of sound on a good many files, even thought volume slider is completely off, when files are started.

It doesn't happen on all files, but ? 30% - seems like too many for audio to be out of sync. I've rarely heard this in any other player I've used. Could be an MPlayer2 prob, or ???

Anyway, is there a possibility of adding something to the preferences (or a setting in the .ini file)? Allow setting the audio to start muted and / or set default volume (at 0 or whatever). The slider is ALREADY at 0, so I'm thinking muting by preference may be the only way to stop this - unless someone can figure out why it's doing this.

Yes, I know SMPlayer remembers where the vol slider was, last time player was closed. But, it's not stopping 1, 2 or 3 sec of audio from playing, though it is at 0.
Sometimes it will play a fraction sec of audio, then silence, then another fraction sec, before silence.

The video starts before or same time as audio, not audio before video. Haven't tested on any wave form software, but A / V look closely synched.

Tried unchecking "use software volume control" - no change.
Tried setting a % AV sync correction factor, though A/V seem to be synched fine. No change.

Thanks.
Can't we all just get along? If a computer crashes when no one's around, does it make a sound?
brittney24

Re: Any possibility of adding "start muted" or "start at vol

Postby rvm » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:43 pm

rvm
Site Admin

Postby brittney24 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:26 am

Here's one mplayer2 log. Had output on verbose.
This log is for an mp4 file, but sound issue happens on other formats.

Makes reference that it's looking for certain *.conf files, but none found. I assume that's normal unless you've entered command line options.
Attachments
mplayer2 log_sound plays when vol off.txt
(14.76 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Can't we all just get along? If a computer crashes when no one's around, does it make a sound?
brittney24

Postby rvm » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:14 am

Does it happen too with the normal mplayer?
rvm
Site Admin

Postby brittney24 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Edit: I d/l a fresh copy of latest r4373 SMPlayer / ("normal) MPlayer portable pkg. On SOME files, it DOES play a sec or frac of sec of sound at start of play w/ vol slider at 0. Another version I have of SMP / MPlayer (portable) didn't seem to do it, but apparently didn't check it on enough, or right file(s).

No, w/ portable SMPlayer + MPlayer (not MPlayer2) - doesn't seem to play any sounds w/ vol slider preset at 0. If MPlayer is "normal" player.
Reason I used MPlayer2 was it supports GL3, which w/ my GPU seemed to render some recent, hi res movies w/ better color. That was before (just) got new 1920x1080 IPS monitor. W/ new monitor (& many display modes) haven't compared GL3 w/ DirectX or DirectX 3D - or others.

But, above "normal" MPlayer pkg - which are latest MAJOR releases (but not the very latest builds) crashed opening some files, where SMPlayer r4355 + MPlayer2 didn't. Another issue / post.

I'm using SMPlayer 0.8 -4355 portable w/ SMPlayer2. At the time, the only 4355 release was the SMPlayer / MPlayer pkg (that included the "don't remember last dir" change in .ini file, that I asked for) .

I asked about getting that change in the SMPlayer - only - file, & suggestion was just to replace MPlayer w/ MPlayer2, in correct location. I did that - is it possible ? this sound issue has to do w/ deleting MP from the pkg & inserting MPlayer2? (the deleting / replacing action, NOT that it's MPlayer2)?

There are later (unstable) SMPlayer releases I could try (w/ updated MPlayer release??) - don't think the changes are KNOWN to affect this sound issue.
brittney24

Postby rvm » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:47 pm

I think the problem might be that smplayer doesn't recognize the mplayer2 build you're using, and so it's not passing the -volume option.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby brittney24 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:12 pm

You're probably right. It is odd that sound plays ONLY a sec or frac of sec at beginning. At that point, SMPlayer MUST recognize the -volume. Or else, sound would keep playing?? Or not.

Don't know if there're any settings in SMP prefs I could change that might stop this issue? I could put the -nosound option under MPlayer options, but that's kinda permanent - for general play. I use sound, just not always when 1st starting files.
brittney24

Postby rvm » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:21 pm

I think the problem was that the mplayer2 name in the identification string was all in lowercase, while smplayer expected to find "MPlayer2". I fixed this in svn 4379, so hopefully now it will recognize your mplayer2 build.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby brittney24 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:24 am

That's great.
Typically, how long should users wait, before looking for a version w/ new changes to be on (some??) d/l location (& where's the best place to look for them)? Don't know what the time frame is typically.

Is the 8.1 release available to general public?

Out standing in his field is a man, RVM.
A man, RVM, is out standing in his field.
RVM is a man outstanding in his field.
brittney24

Postby rvm » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:57 am

redxii just made some packages for r4380:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/smplaye ... /Unstable/
rvm
Site Admin

Next

Return to General