This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

SMPlayer 0.8.x: problems with external audio track

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

SMPlayer 0.8.x: problems with external audio track

Postby DVV » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi!
I encountered two problems with external audio track in SMPlayer 0.8.0 and 0.8.1:
1) If the original video file contains 2 audio tracks and then you load an external audio track, SMPlayer still shows 2 audio tracks in its menu. But if you try to select the 2nd track now, SMPlayer just does not play at all.
I think, SMPlayer should either show 3 audio tracks in its menu (i.e. 2 internal + 1 external audio track) and allow to switch between them on-the-fly, or show just 1 audio track when you loaded the external one.
2) If you watched a video file with an external audio track loaded and then exited SMPlayer with "Remember settings for all files" option on, SMPlayer saves the path to external audion track in its file's settings. If you then rename the external audio track and want to play the video file, SMPlayer does not allow to play the file since it can not find the external audio track. I think, SMPlayer must use the internal audio track in this case to allow to play the video anyway.
But anyway, SMPlayer is the best!
Thanks, Vitalii.
DVV

Re: SMPlayer 0.8.x: problems with external audio track

Postby DVV » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:18 pm

The issue remains in SMPlayer 0.8.2 :(
OK, let me simplify the conditions:
1) Take any video file, let it be with just 1 internal audio track. Take any audio file - it could be any song in .mp3 or any other movie's track in .ac3 - it does not matter - and load it as external audio track in SMPlayer. After you do it, SMPlayer shows two audio tracks in its menu: 0 and 1. You can click these 0 and 1, 1 and 0 - but the audio track that you hear remains the external one. Though, as I said, SMPlayer should either allow to switch audio track on-the-fly or just show 1 audio track in this case.
2) You wonder what is the use case of renaming of the external audio track? Here you go. Let's assume you have a movie file "movie1.avi" and external audio track to it "movie1.mp3". You started to watch the movie with the external track loaded, you like it and want to rename it according to the movie's title - e.g. to "batman.avi" and "batman.mp3". Now you want to play this "batman.avi" but - suprise! - SMPlayer does not play it because it expects to load the external audion track "movie1.mp3" that no more exists.
I'm under Windows XP, if it matters.
Hope to see the issue(s) fixed.
DVV

Postby rvm » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:29 pm

I didn't have time to take a look at this problem, sorry. I'll try to fix it for the next version.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby DVV » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:27 pm

Thank you! I'll be looking forward for the new version!
DVV

Postby DVV » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:54 am

Just reminding about the external audio track issues... Is there some prognosis regarding it? Can I help by looking at some particular source files?
DVV

Postby rvm » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:05 am

The problem is that when an external audio file is used, mplayer doesn't allow to select any of the original audio tracks of the video.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby DVV » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Then the following seems to be the best solution:
1) when user successfully loads external audio track, SMPlayer should show just 1 audio track available - disregarding the internal audio tracks. If the external audio track could not be loaded for some reason or user unloads the external audio track manually, SMPlayer should show available internal audio track(s). The same should happen whe user re-loads different external audio track - SMPlayer should show 1 audio track that relates to the latest loaded.
2) when you start to play a video file that expects to load an external audio track and this external audio track can not be loaded or found, SMPlayer should forget about the missing external audio track and use available internal audio track(s). While deciding which internal audio track to use in this case (if there are more than one internal audio track), SMPlayer should follow its options: either select a track by number or language code or, if the above was not specified in the options, select the first available track.
Hope I've covered everything and it will not be hard to implement :)
DVV

Return to General