This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Installing SMPlayer over older install

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Installing SMPlayer over older install

Postby Internaut » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:06 pm

I've been upgrading my copy of SMPlayer in Windows by simply re-installing without removing the previous version. This seemed to be working fine, but when I recently built a new computer and installed a fresh Windows 7 on it, I discovered something odd. The available themes/styles in a fresh install are completely different from those in the exact same version on my older systems where I have re-installed over previous versions. What controls the selection of these themes? I can go into the Program Files\SMPlayer directory and see a themes directory. Under this directory are many different sub directories. The names of the themes I can see when I use the Preferences\Interface panel in my current SMPlayer are there. But so are many more that do not appear, yet are available in the completely new install. Meanwhile, the new install does not have any of the old themes. Apparently they were removed? Why? They seem to work fine with the current version. What is going on with re-installing vs. a fresh install?
Internaut

Re: Installing SMPlayer over older install

Postby rvm » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:13 pm

If you're using the "skinnable GUI" (preferences -> interface) there are only 5 themes available. If you use the "basic GUI" then there are many more.
rvm
Site Admin

Re: Installing SMPlayer over older install

Postby Internaut » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Wow, so there are very different options selectable with the GUI option, but all of the skins for both options are kept in the same directory. Confusing. At least now I know that all of the same options are available in both clean new installs and multiple re-installs. I guess the default on a new install has changed and that was what made it look like the options were different and mutually exclusive.
Internaut

Return to General