This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Two performance issues, maybe related?

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Two performance issues, maybe related?

Postby newuser101 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:09 am

rvm:

In the last couple of months I've noticed two performance issues that may or may not be related:

(1) When dragging-and-dropping a video onto SMPlayer, the video sometimes takes 45 seconds (or even more) before starting to play. This doesn't happen every time, but does happen several times per day.

(2) Often when a video first begins to play, the SMPlayer interface is completely unresponsive to mouse clicks. When I try to pause the video, no response; also, there is no ability to go to full-screen, etc. The player behaves as if the performance priority were High or Real-Time, even though the option selected is Normal. This can go on for as long as 1 minute before the interface finally accepts clicks. Sometimes I just use Task Manager to kill the MPV and SMPlayer processes.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
newuser101

Re: Two performance issues, maybe related?

Postby rvm » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:07 pm

I can't reproduce this problem in any of my computers.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby newuser101 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:34 am

I see. Just fyi: I'm using the same (older) Windows box that I've been using since starting to use SMPlayer. I do know that this behavior was not present at first. Is there any chance that the SMPlayer interface or the MPV player (or both) now require more computer horsepower to perform properly than they did a year or so ago?
newuser101

Postby rvm » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:47 pm

SMPlayer uses now Qt5 instead of Qt4. You can try the builds with Qt4 and see if it works better in your computer:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/smplay ... er/Legacy/
rvm
Site Admin

Postby newuser101 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:35 am

Thanks for that suggestion. I did roll back to the Qt4 version. There is some improvement in the behavior I described, so I might stick with the rolled back version, for now. Someday I'll buy a new computer...I guess...(ha)...
newuser101

Return to General