Two recent issues: audio problem, and an orphan artifact...

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Two recent issues: audio problem, and an orphan artifact...

Postby newuser101 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:42 am

rvm:

Two issues:

(1) SMPlayer 17.4.0 (revision 8495) reduces the audio volume to almost zero on newly opened videos. This did not happen on earlier versions. If I install an earlier version over the 17.4.0 version, the audio problem goes away. Just wondering if some change has been made to how SMPlayer handles audio.

(2) For the last few versions, a weird thing has been happening. After shifting from fullscreen to regular view, an outline of the lower left-hand part of the SMPlayer window remains stuck as an orphan artifact visible on the pop-up toolbar of Windows at the bottom of my screen. If I click on the toolbar, the artifact vanishes, so it's not a big deal. It's just that this is new behavior. I never noticed it before the last few weeks. It's like SMPlayer is leaving a piece of its window outline leftover when it transitions from fullscreen back to normal mode.

Anyway, thanks as always for a really useful and well-maintained program!
newuser101

Re: Two recent issues: audio problem, and an orphan artifact

Postby rvm » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:40 am

newuser101 wrote:rvm:

Two issues:

(1) SMPlayer 17.4.0 (revision 8495) reduces the audio volume to almost zero on newly opened videos. This did not happen on earlier versions. If I install an earlier version over the 17.4.0 version, the audio problem goes away. Just wondering if some change has been made to how SMPlayer handles audio.

I haven't experienced this problem. However open smplayer.ini from the smplayer configuration folder with a text editor and look for initial_volume. Maybe the value changed.
newuser101 wrote:(2) For the last few versions, a weird thing has been happening. After shifting from fullscreen to regular view, an outline of the lower left-hand part of the SMPlayer window remains stuck as an orphan artifact visible on the pop-up toolbar of Windows at the bottom of my screen. If I click on the toolbar, the artifact vanishes, so it's not a big deal. It's just that this is new behavior. I never noticed it before the last few weeks. It's like SMPlayer is leaving a piece of its window outline leftover when it transitions from fullscreen back to normal mode.

Again I think I never saw this problem. Try to select a different video output in preferences -> general -> video.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby newuser101 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:07 am

I haven't experienced this problem. However open smplayer.ini from the smplayer configuration folder with a text editor and look for initial_volume. Maybe the value changed.

No, the initial_volume is still 20, which has always been my default volume.

Here's the situation: before this problem begain, I was able to listen to an MP3 on my audio player at a volume which is good, then open a video with the 20 setting on initial volume and that was good, too. Now, if the MP3 plays at a good volume, when I open the video, I can't hear it at all. So I have to run the SMPlayer volume slider to full. But sometimes that's still not enough, so I have to manually crank up the volume on my speakers. But if I do that, then close the video and go back to listening to my MP3 player, the volume is deafening so I have to manually turn the volume down again on my speakers. I never had this problem on earlier versions of SMPlayer.

Not sure if this makes sense to you, but it's a real phenomenon on my machine. And it just appeared in the latest version of SMPlayer.

Again I think I never saw this problem. Try to select a different video output in preferences -> general -> video.

Just to see if you can reproduce this behavior, here's a precise description of how to produce it at will (on my machine, of course!):

(1) start SMPlayer (don't need to open a video);
(2) go to fullscreen;
(3) exit fullscreen;
(4) without clicking anything, move the mouse cursor down until the Taskbar pops up;
(5) an outline of the border of the SMPlayer window remains at the bottom right-hand side of the screen, overlaying the Taskbar;
(6) clicking on the Taskbar makes the outline disappear.

I only point this out because it is relatively new behavior, maybe just over the last few versions. It's not a big deal, but it's something that the program wasn't doing before and now it is. For what that's worth!

Thanks!
newuser101

Postby newuser101 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:07 am

Follow-up!

I updated my firewall program and reinstalled my audio drivers. Both problems reported have apparently resolved themselves, at least for now. The mysteries of the inner workings and side-effects of software, I guess!

Thanks again!
newuser101

Return to General