This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Just hangs...

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Re: Just hangs...

Postby burf » Thu May 11, 2017 2:01 am

Do you mean the disable coreavc if no other codec, in the performance tab/loop filters?
Disabled it... same.
Thanks so much for your help... Always liked smp, & still do, I guess I'll live with it, at least until the hang miraculously decides to go away.
burf

Postby angrybird » Mon May 15, 2017 11:21 am

The cause might be antivirus software or similar.
angrybird

Postby burf » Wed May 17, 2017 7:37 pm

This only happens with smp, not other players. That said, it still happens when my antivirus is totally disabled.
But ya got me thinking. So, I tried smp in safe mode... no luck, still hangs when closing.
Tried it streaming audio; playing a local audio file, etc... also, video-only files... even just a jpeg. Hangs.
The only time it doesn't hang when I close it, is if I open smp, & just close it without loading any file.
Beats me what's going on.

@rvm: if you see this... could this be something possibly related to qt? I ask because there's another app I use that was compiled with qt, that I have a weird issue with.
burf

Postby rvm » Wed May 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Could you test if it hangs as well with these packages (built with Qt 4)?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/smplay ... cy/17.5.0/
rvm
Site Admin

Postby burf » Fri May 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Looks like only 32-bit there. I use 64-bit, will that effect anything?
I made a dupe of my .smplayer folder in users, so I can go back seemlessly. Is there anything else I should back up?

I tested the 32-bit portable, using a copy of the smplayer.ini in my users folder, so settings would be similar.
It doesn't hang.

Later... I think I figured out my problem! I noticed my smplayer_files.ini was 15MB, over the many years I've used smp... lots of files.
So, after backing up that file, I copied the new one, then ran a video. Success! A slight delay, but no hanging!
Is there some setting, where I can bypass reading that on-close... or to manage/limit the size of the smplayer_files.ini?
And if not that, is the 32-bit portable smplayer_files.ini, compatible with the 64-bit installed version.
Or, can I just chop off the top of the file, & save the rest of smplayer_files.ini, & it'll function properly?

Thanks for hanging in there with me.
burf

Postby rvm » Sat May 20, 2017 1:17 am

In preferences -> general, select the option to store the settings in "multiple ini files". This way instead of a huge smplayer_files.ini it will use many small ini files so this problem won't happen anymore.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby burf » Sat May 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks, @rvm... your help is appreciated!
burf

Previous

Return to General