This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Question about cache settings

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Question about cache settings

Postby loug » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Which cache setting applies to accessing a NAS? I'm assuming it would be the streaming cache size but it's almost always wrong to assume...

I have videos stored on a Western Digital NAS and sometimes experience lagging/skipping on playback.

Thanks for any advice.
loug

Re: Question about cache settings

Postby redxii » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:53 pm

"Streams" cache applies to streaming video from the web such as YouTube or other live streams.

If you are opening a ripped (or from disc) DVD/Blu-ray source you would use the "Cache for DVDs" option if the DVD/Blu-ray resides on your PC's hard disk or on your local network/NAS.

If you are playing files such as .avi, .mkv, .mp4, or .whatever (anything not DVD or Blu-ray) from your NAS the "Cache for local files" would apply.
redxii

Re: Question about cache settings

Postby loug » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks for the clarification. After doing a bit more research I left the cache settings at default values (2048 for both local files and streams) and added "-cache-min 50" to the mplayer options in the advanced settings. Too soon to know if the lagging/stuttering is cured for good but last evening's viewing was flawless. Our media computer is a very old Dell laptop that is used only as an interface to the NAS and to our primary machine (via sftp or samba) so it's a small miracle for it to perform as well as it does...
loug

Return to General