[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SMPlayer Support Forum • View topic - How to change resolution at Live Broadcast URLs?

This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

How to change resolution at Live Broadcast URLs?

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

How to change resolution at Live Broadcast URLs?

Postby vasilis74 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi! New forum member.

My operating system on a Dell Inspiron 910 is Xubuntu 16.04, my SMplayer Menu>About gives:
Version: 17.8.0 (revision 8621)
Using Qt 4.8.7 (compiled with Qt 4.8.7)
Using MPV 0.14.0

I cannot change resolution in some Live Broadcast URLs that don' t come from YouTube, I hope this is because I don' t know how to pass options and filters to MPlayer/mpv, if not then it is not possibile to reduce these Live Broadcast resolutions.

I go to https://www.rt.com/on-air/ , click the HD button on the video frame and change to 360p. Then I click the share icon on the top-right of the video frame and click the URL icon to copy it. Sadly I just copy the generic video URL, without any resolution filter...
I have set Preferences>Network>YouTube(and other sites) to Auto and 360p (mp4), but this does not affect the resolution obviusly because it is not a YouTube stream... So I belive I have to pass some video filter. I wonder if I sould better pass this filter to View>Information and properties>Options for MPlayer/mpv, in order to pass it only to the specific URL.

Any help?

I would also like to know if it is possibile to pull the subtitles from YouTube videos, I admit I did not search the forum for that, for the previous problem I did but I found no useful information.

Thanks in advance!
vasilis74

Re: How to change resolution at Live Broadcast URLs?

Postby rvm » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:02 pm

With generic video streams in m3u8 format usually it's possible to select the video quality in the menu Video -> Track.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby vasilis74 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:18 pm

Thank for the responce!
Unfortunatelly Video>Track gives only 1 track.
I don't know if it is m3u8. Right-click on the video frame in Firefox says Powered by JW Player 7.8.4 and the link it gives me to copy is just https://www.rt.com/on-air/ , but it works. So the result is the Live-stream always plays at 1280x720, too high for this 2008 netbook. But 360p is bellow 50%-CPU and even 480p is almost OK, now I need to find the video-filters, if there are any.

These are some lines from View>Information and Properties when this Live-stream plays:

General
URL: https://www.rt.com/on-air/
Length: 00:00:00
Demuxer: lavf
Clip info
Name: RT News — RT
Video
Resolution: 1280 x 720
Aspect ratio: 1.77778
Format: h264
Bitrate: 7133 kbps
Frames per second: 24.000000
Selected codec: H.264
vasilis74

Postby rvm » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:57 am

rvm
Site Admin

Postby vasilis74 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:52 am

Thank you very much! You help me start using options, other than the GUI Preferences!
I am lost in the documetation for youtube-dl, mostly because the examples are not clear enough or incomplete. I sould not expect much to understand as a command-line non-expert, also I have no problem to admit that copy/paste is a short way to use a program, in the same time learn how to understand more about it.
Which is the most helpful documentation for various options? Or do I have to keep searching in large pages to collect info?
Thanks again!
vasilis74

Return to General