This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Memory usage spike when closing SMPlayer

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Memory usage spike when closing SMPlayer

Postby newuser101 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:33 pm

rvm:

The SMPlayer interface uses about 37 MB of memory on my system when playing a regular video, but when I choose "Quit" from the menu, the memory usage balloons for a few seconds to as much as 500 MB. This has an impact on my system because I have limited memory. Is that normal behavior? Why would it suddenly need more than 10 times as much memory as normal when closing?

Thanks for the great program and all of the work you do on it!
newuser101

Re: Memory usage spike when closing SMPlayer

Postby rvm » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:42 pm

That's strange.

Is the "store settings in" (preferences -> general) set to "one ini file"? In that case SMPlayer may be using a huge ini file which is saved when closing.
rvm
Site Admin

Re: Memory usage spike when closing SMPlayer

Postby newuser101 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Okay, it was set to 'one ini file'. I looked in the preferences storage directory and saw a pretty large file (about 12 MB). I changed the setting and renamed the large file. At the moment, the memory spike is not happening. If it returns, I'll let you know.

Thanks again!

(HEH: remember that request from long ago about using SMPlayer to automate screencap production for all videos in a specified directory, or selected videos therein, letting it run by itself and save each file? Still hoping for that...)
newuser101

Return to General