We are glad to announce the release of smplayer 0.8.5. This new version features a fix for the option to find subtitles. Due to changes in opensubtitles.org, this option didn't work well lately. We fixed it and now smplayer can find more subtitles than ever.
Another important change, now the default interface is the skinnable interface. This change will affect only to new users, those who upgrade will maintain their preferred interface.
We also changed the default setting for the autoresize option, now the main window won't be resized automatically. This has been done to avoid the problem that may happen when playing HD videos, since the main window could end up partially outside of the screen.
Some other configuration options have been changed, like the cache settings, to try to improve performance when playing from slow media, like internet URLs.
We also added an option for the playlist which allows to enter URLs.
We would like to remind that we also release a package for Windows with MPlayer2. MPlayer2 has additional features like support for mkv ordered chapters, bugfixes and other improvements. It's worth to try it.
- Due to changes in opensubtitles.org, smplayer couldn't find subtitles anymore. This has been fixed.
- The interface with support for skins is now the default.
- An option to enter url(s) in the playlist has been added.
- The options to change the size of the main window work now even if the autoresize is set to never.
- Two new options for Audio -> Stereo mode: Mono and Reverse.
- The option "Move the window when the video area is dragged" is now disabled by default because it has some issues that need to be addressed.
- (Linux) The problem with mplayer2 and the -fontconfig option has been fixed (sort of).
- New translation: Malay.
- Some configuration options are changed to new defaults after installation to ease upgrade from old versions.