New interesting features available thanks to mpv

The latest news about SMPlayer.

Re: New interesting features available thanks to mpv

Postby cootmaster » Sun May 10, 2015 7:22 pm

can we still do mpv from other sites w smtube how do we do it coping the url to play
cootmaster

Postby kmod » Tue May 12, 2015 10:07 pm

cootmaster wrote:can we still do mpv from other sites w smtube how do we do it coping the url to play

You can do mpv+yt-dl on Smplayer for other sites than Youtube, but I don't think you could ever do it with smtube, as far as I know. But I am not sure it has an option for downloading, unless you scoop up the temp file.
kmod

Postby cootmaster » Tue May 12, 2015 10:44 pm

ok these things beyond me so
im thinking mpv is not able be accessed for now

i dont understand many this :D
cootmaster

Postby kmod » Tue May 12, 2015 11:13 pm

cootmaster wrote:ok these things beyond me so
im thinking mpv is not able be accessed for now

i dont understand many this :D

It works here. See the instructions http://blog.smplayer.info/how-to-play-a ... -smplayer/

With one change, if you set Advanced -> Options for MPlayer/MPV to "--ytdl-format=bestvideo+bestaudio" like described Smplayer will play Youtube 1080p but it will throw errors for other sites. Instead use "--ytdl-format=bestvideo+bestaudio/best" (without quotes) More on this point here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7794&start=10

BTW I think many people confuse Smplayer and Smtube. Smtube is the Youtube browser so it works only on Youtube. The method described here works with Smplayer (+mpv and yt-dl) and it works for all sites supported by youtube-dl, the downside is that you have to copy the url from a web browser so the advantage may not be that apparent unless you don't want to run flash (this is more important for the Linux platform) Whereas in Smtube you don't need to open a web browser at all, though it works only on Youtube.
kmod

Previous

Return to News