This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

"free" in translation

Forum to talk about translations of SMPlayer, both the application and the website.

"free" in translation

Postby scootergrisen » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:17 pm

Where the word "free" is used in the source translation i would like comments to be added if it means libre or without paying money.
scootergrisen

Re: "free" in translation

Postby Nardog » Sat May 23, 2015 2:47 am

SMPlayer is open-source software and under the GPL license which allows users to redistribute and to modify the program, hence "free" means not only free of cost but liberty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
Nardog

Postby scootergrisen » Sat May 23, 2015 8:08 am

Yeah but it says "free" multiple times.
scootergrisen

Postby Nardog » Sat May 23, 2015 6:14 pm

Of course it depends on the context, but when it comes to smplayer_web, I for one use the word that means "no cost" rather than "freedom" except where it's "free and open source" because that's more specific and intuitive, in hope that it would entice more new users that way.
Nardog

Postby scootergrisen » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:49 pm

I'm still waiting for comments to be added on Transifex so i know how to translate the word "free".
scootergrisen

Postby rvm » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:57 am

I can add comments to the po file but I'm not sure if they would be shown in transifex.

Anyway I think most of the time I wrote "free" in the web site it was with the meaning of "no cost". For the meaning of "freedom" I used "open source".
rvm
Site Admin

Return to Translations