This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

[Windows] Mplayer and font scanning [SOLVED]

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

[Windows] Mplayer and font scanning [SOLVED]

Postby anonymous_user » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:53 am

I am using SMPlayer 0.8.0+SVN-r4373 (32-bit) (Portable Edition) and when I open a video, Mplayer will begin scanning my fonts which takes a short while and is annoying. Heres the relevant part of the Mplayer log:

http://pastebin.com/skH3P4Gu

I tried selecting different fonts, using normal subtitles instead of SSA/ASS, disabling freetype2, and nothing helps. Now if Mplayer would only scan the fonts once, I wouldn't complain. However it scans the fonts everytime I run it on a different machine. Any ideas?
Last edited by anonymous_user on Sun May 12, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
anonymous_user

Re: [Windows] Mplayer and font scanning

Postby redxii » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:28 am

It creates a cache the first time and doesn't scan on subsequent files. I'm not able to reproduce anything otherwise, the cache is created where you extracted SMPlayer and doesn't cache for other computers.

If you put SMPlayer in a read-only location it would prevent the creation of the cache file and cause the scanning every time you open a file.
redxii

Postby AboveAverage » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:02 am

This occurs every time you add a new font to the C:\Windows\Fonts directory. Anytime you change that directory the next time SMPlayer Portable loads it has to re-scan ALL fonts on the computer and create a new cache. There should really be an option to turn this off. Like an option that says "Scan fonts when new fonts are added" or "Only ever use Arial for subtitles". I will take that second option EVERY... FUCKING... TIME.

I've got a large font collection and I add to it regularly, I don't need to wait 20 minutes for a VIDEO PLAYER to scan FONTS that it has no use for. I never open videos that require subtitles. This, and videos skipping at the start are the reasons I switched over to portable VLC, as much as I hate VLC.
AboveAverage

Postby anonymous_user » Sun May 12, 2013 1:50 am

I need to do more testing, but so far it seems that using mplayer2 instead of mplayer resulting in no font caching. I am happy.
anonymous_user

Re: [Windows] Mplayer and font scanning [SOLVED]

Postby interarticle » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:09 pm

One way to prevent font scanning is to disable windows fonts under fontconfig. Go under SMPlayerPortable/App/SMPlayer/mplayer/fonts, and open fonts.conf. Please note this is a UNIX line-ending file, thereby requiring something other than notepad (wordpad should work). Comment out/remove the line "<dir>WINDOWSFONTDIR</dir>". Beware that this may make it impossible for SMPlayer to display subtitles, so keep a copy of the fonts.conf before editing.

Confirmed to eliminate font scanning.
interarticle

Postby brucedunlop » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Windows 7 retains ownership as Administrator.
Changing ownership and permissions of the fonts.conf file to your own username allows Mplayer to rewrite the fonts.cong file.
brucedunlop

Postby joo003464 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:11 pm

What a great ability of writing this post contains.. .. ..
Its been a true pleasure to go through your post. Keep up this good working.. .. ;) ;)
joo003464

Postby visitor » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 pm

This worked for me.

http://sokosensei.wordpress.com/2013/11 ... -smplayer/

PS---I am here to help and don't appreciate having to do a Google search to answer your silly challenge question. Bite me.
visitor

Return to General