[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SMPlayer Support Forum • View topic - Upgrading SMPlayer Portable

This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Upgrading SMPlayer Portable

Any kind of documentation (manuals, howtos, tips...) about the usage of SMPlayer.

Upgrading SMPlayer Portable

Postby Galathorne » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:25 pm

So, I have searched far and wide for any info on the process of upgrading the portable version of SMPlayer. This question is specifically for getting answers on how to keep EVERYTHING intact that is user related, like Preferences (including keyboard shortcuts), Recent files, Individual file settings, etc.

I would rather not extract the program's files before I know which files on my PC to keep and which files to overwrite. I have spent countless hours in the past (covering many versions of SMPlayer, installed as well as portable) getting everything "just so" for the best personal user experience, so finding inconsistencies with the way it is set up after upgrading incorrectly would be very frustrating. Therefore I would rather just ask you guys first.

Please help ;)

I am on Windows 10, SMPlayer Portable version 15.9.0 (64-bit)
Galathorne

Re: Upgrading SMPlayer Portable

Postby rvm » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:27 am

rvm
Site Admin

Postby redxii » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:49 am

I've been working on a portable "installer" (it only extracts the files and doesn't write anything in the registry or outside the install location), and though it has no bearing on your settings, it is compiled with Qt5 whereas the regular releases are still using Qt4. It is available from this folder (smplayer-portable-[VERSION]-x64-qt5.exe): https://sourceforge.net/projects/smplay ... table/Qt5/ and if you are using SMTube you need to get that from the SMTube subfolder and not from the SMTube website: https://sourceforge.net/projects/smplay ... t5/SMTube/

I suggest initially making a clean install with it then transfer your settings, not overwrite an existing install from the .7z releases because when the EXE installer is compiled it also compiles a list of all the original program files for the uninstaller and the 7zip releases don't have said uninstaller. After the initial install you can use newer installers to cleanly remove the older version and install the new one. It won't touch your settings (if you don't use the "Reset" option) or other data generated by SMPlayer like screenshots & playlists. SMTube is not touched either, and I use it myself all the time.

It doesn't get as much downloads as the 7zip releases since I think people are apprehensive about executables, I assure there is no spyware or underhanded tactics. The source for the installer is here: https://www.assembla.com/spaces/smplaye ... ortablesfx
redxii

Postby Ready SMPlayer One » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:44 pm

Is there an update to the list of files that need to be moved from old to new versions (I'm currently running v18.9 and am upgrading to v21.1)? I notice in the list of files mentioned by rmv, playlist.ini is not mentioned. And when I choose the "one ini file" option, the resulting smplayer_files.ini does not contain the info from playlist.ini (and is significantly smaller than playlist.ini). I greatly appreciate the ability of SMPlayer to remember the settings of from each media file from years before, and I would hate to lose that historical information when updating.

It would also be very useful to include in the next update of the portable version a list of all files that need to be moved from old folder to new folder.

Thanks!

(running W10/64 & SMPlayer Portable v21)
Ready SMPlayer One

Return to Documentation