This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Full-screen without video resizing

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Full-screen without video resizing

Postby Frescard » Sat May 15, 2010 6:17 pm

Is there a way to run SMPlayer in full-screen mode, but keep the original size of the video (i.e. to have the "unused" space appear black, with the actual video - in original size and AR - displayed in the center)?

I have some videos which nearly fill my screen, but I don't want to resize them, as I don't want to introduce artifacts, but I also don't want to run it in windowed mode, as I would like to hide the borders and controls.
Frescard

Re: Full-screen without video resizing

Postby Talldog9 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:16 am

OS/output driver (video)? Some output drivers automatically do what you want like x11 but are much less than preferable. As far as I am aware mplayer does not support going fullscreen without scaling unless your graphics card or driver supports it itself. Even if it does it would probably be clumsy for your needs.

Something that springs to mind is that openGL may be able to do what you want using your graphics card drivers. You would probably need a current not-so-old card and drivers though.
Talldog9

Postby Talldog9 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:44 pm

I just thought of an approach that should work for at least directx with overlays. create a screen sized image in a graphic editor and color it the same as smplayers colorkey. Then while a video is playing launch the image into fullscreen with a image viewer. That should work.
Talldog9

Postby rvm » Mon May 17, 2010 4:37 am

On linux this can be done (in mplayer) using -vo x11 -nozoom. That doesn't work well in smplayer, though.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby Frescard » Mon May 17, 2010 11:58 am

I'm running SMPlayer under Vista, and I've tried the method with the background image (and DirectX); but I still see the border and title-bar (even in compact mode), so while this method is somewhat better than what I had so far, it would still be nice to get rid of those as well.
(But I guess, unless I want to switch to Linux, that's probably just not possible for now...)
Frescard

Postby Talldog9 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:07 pm

SMPlayer is not set to be on top is it? If it is your image viewer must also be set to stay on top and be focused.
Talldog9

Postby santeesteve » Wed May 19, 2010 5:53 am

Can you hit the "w" key to zoom out in full screen mode? Works fine in Linux.
santeesteve

Postby Talldog9 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm not sure it zooms out to a 1:1 pixel ratio. I tried to measure it before and it didn't seem exactly the same. Someone should measure it with software.
Talldog9

Postby Talldog9 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:16 am

The maximum it zooms out is approx. 10 millimeters greater height than the native resolution of a test video.
Talldog9

Return to General