[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SMPlayer Support Forum • View topic - Opening more than one SMPlayer...

This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Opening more than one SMPlayer...

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Opening more than one SMPlayer...

Postby burf » Thu May 20, 2010 12:20 am

I'm wondering if there's some setting I'm missing.
Sometimes I need to have more than one instance of SMPlayer open.
If I open a video, and then open another video, the second one doesn't show visually... the screen is just black. The video is allegedly playing, since I see the time display moving.
If I close the first one, then the video in the 2nd one starts showing.
It also happens, let's say, if I open a video with another player... then open a video with SMPlayer, the SMPlayer screen again is black. Once I close the first player, the video in SMPlayer shows.
SMPlayer is the only player that behaves this way, & is the main reason it isn't my default.
What am I missing here?
Thanks for any help!
burf

Re: Opening more than one SMPlayer...

Postby Talldog9 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:07 am

You are using DirectX Fast. This means overlays are used. If you are playing one thing using overlays then you can't use overlays for anything else including subsequent videos in media players, web pages, games or anything else. The 2nd SMPlayer attempts to use overlays but can't as it's in use so it just shows the colorkey the overlay is supposed to play on. Only when the original application stops using the overlay can anything else use it.

Some other media players compensate for this by disabling DirectX hardware acceleration on subsequent launches and overlays are not involved for them so it can at least show something instead of black or whatever the colorkey is. However the non-hardware accelerated player(s) lack quality and may tear. This would be especially evident in fullscreen modes. Blocking rough images and tearing.

SMPlayer should therefore detect if DirectXs' overlays are busy upon launch and if so fall back to software rendering OR possibly a second specified driver that could be set in the options.
Talldog9

Postby rvm » Thu May 20, 2010 11:54 am

rvm
Site Admin

Postby burf » Thu May 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks!!! I figured it had something to do with DirectX.
I really appreciate the help!!!

Now another question... since changing the setting, I can't adjust brightness, contrast, etc.
Am I missing something else... or, is there another setting that would allow color adjustment & seeing multiple player windows?
Thanks again!
burf

Postby Talldog9 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:12 pm

On second thought other media players may default to direct3d when overlays are in use.

Direct3D currently doesn't support the image adjustment in MPlayer. It will eventually.
Talldog9

Postby Talldog9 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:17 pm

You could try GL or GL-ATI if you need the equalizer and multiple instances.
Talldog9

Postby burf » Thu May 20, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks... both work. They tend to make the default dark, so I just started playing around, and the direct3D will do both, if I check the "use software video equalizer."

Last question, are there any benefits to using directX vs direct3d vs gl?
I noticed that my cpu usage is a bit more with direct3D, as opposed to gl.
I don't know anything about this, so I'm curious...

Thanks again!
burf

Postby Talldog9 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:17 am

What type of graphics card? is it an actual card or is it onboard?

Using any software equalizer uses some system resources compared to a direct hardware equalizer. As the name suggests the equalization has to be done with your system CPU and RAM as opposed to your graphics cards CPU and VRAM/WRAM/SGRAM/whatever it has; If you have onboard graphics they are one and the same.

As for Direct3D it uses the 3d hardware acceleration capabilities of your gfx card. I assume if your card lacks sufficient capabilities it has to be done via software but am not sure.

DirectDraw (DX Fast) uses hardware acceleration as well but simpler. No 3d. Easier on older cards and onboard graphics.

All of this depends on your specs. Post your graphics card (or lack thereof) and I could be more specific.

Also I believe the Direct3D driver for MPlayer is slightly heavier than DirectDraws.
Talldog9

Postby Ryhan_Ahamad » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:08 pm

It is very easy
Just open Preferences (Ctrl+P)
Go to Interface Tab
Then go to Instances
You will see an option named "Use only one running instance of SMPlayer"
Just Uncheck/Untick the box.
All set. It is done.
You can play different videos on different windows.
Ryhan_Ahamad

Return to General