This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

H264 Setup/Settings

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

H264 Setup/Settings

Postby DaOne » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:36 am

Hi there, now I've tried search through google and this forum for advices but what I've found hasnt worked. So I hope some more tips or advices might give an answer.

Whats driving me INSANE is the stuttering/choppyness from the HD movies and what seems to be XVID and h264 codecs from what Ive understood when checking media information. It comes and goes every 10 sec or so. EXTREMLY annoying when watching a movie. Really hurts my eyes after awhile. This stuttering doesnt last longer than perhaps 0.2 sec buts its enough for the eye to get very irretated. What I've tried so far is disabling Loop Filter, tried as good as every Output Driver (OpenGL, DirectX, Direct3d etc..), changed Cache to 2000 on everything, so far only a slight improvement. But the stuttering/Choppyness is still there.

Now Ive noticed this problem on every single d*mn hd file Ive played. Is there really no way to fix this stuttering? I read somewhere that if Loop Filter doesnt fix it theres nothing to be done unless to wait for some better codec?

Sorry if sounding noobish, not exactly pro at this. But Im hoping someone else has some suggestion to try?

Also on a side note mplayer doesnt seem to start altough I start it as administrator driving me insane too. So if someone want some report through this Im afraid I cant give it.

Thank you guys.
DaOne

Re: H264 Setup/Settings

Postby redxii » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:24 am

What are your cpu specs and the bitrate of the videos? And the OS you are using.

If you have a multicore processor you can increase 'Threads for decoding' in the performance options, I have a Pentium D 6 years old it can play Blu-ray 40Mbit with 4 threads (2 core hyperthreaded).
redxii

Postby DaOne » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:01 pm

I'm having this problem on both my computers, I have a stationary one thats a Dual Core E6600 processor at 2.4 Ghz, it has 2 Gig RAM and a 512 Mb Graphic card and WinXP fully updated. Other one is my laptop that has Windows 7 64bit, Single Core 2,3 Ghz, 2 Gig RAM and the graphic card Im not sure of actually.. If Im reading it right it should be 1 Gig but I highly doubt that so I must be looking wrong place. Assume its a 512 graphic card.

One video has a bitrate of 23,976 (only tried it so far on my laptop), it plays at Resolution 1920 x816 image format 2.3529. The other file which I've played at both computers has same bitrate but plays at resolution 624 x 352 and has image format 1,7727 if that tells you anything more.

Thanks
DaOne

Postby redxii » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:29 am

You can try Mplayer2 http://mplayer2.srsfckn.biz/ (recommend i686 build) Extract it somewhere and in the smplayer options point to it, and be sure to disable "postprocessing by default" in the Video tab when using mplayer2.
redxii

Postby DaOne » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:01 pm

Well I'll be... that seem to have fixed it on my laptop anyway. Watched a movie yesterday that had been stuttering before but seemed to be working just fine now. Altough the subtitles became alot smaller but readable. Is i686 only for Linux/Vista? Or Should I try this with my stationary computer too that has XP? Im not at home right now so I cant try it atm.

Thanks for the help anyway, would never had found that one.
DaOne

Return to General