[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SMPlayer Support Forum • View topic - Changing "Threads for Decoding" Causes Problem.

This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Changing "Threads for Decoding" Causes Problem.

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Changing "Threads for Decoding" Causes Problem.

Postby tfhavingfun » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:13 am

Hi, I'm currently running SMPlayer on Win7 x64, to which I just switched from Win XP. And I have AMD Athlon ii x4 635.

I noticed that when playing some certain 720p/1080p mp4 files, the videos kinda lag, not smooth at all. I googled, and figured out that I have to set "Threads for decoding" value to "4", which I don't have to do when running SMPlayer on Win XP. Not sure why???

The 720p/1080p videos went back to normal (smooth) after I set the value to "4", but if I play some some other video formats, like avi, MPlayer won't play and crashes all the time, so I have to set the value back to "1" again, and then it plays.

This seems solve the problem, but changing setting manually per file is not really a good solution. So I'm asking here if there are some other options for me?

Thank you very much!
tfhavingfun

Re: Changing "Threads for Decoding" Causes Problem.

Postby redxii » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:47 pm

Try disabling "Draw video using slices" in the preferences (General - Video). I could reproduce it and this isn't something new, with threads >1 and that option enabled, forgot about it since that is one of the first things I disable.
redxii

Postby tfhavingfun » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:48 am

tfhavingfun

Postby rvm » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:37 am

rvm
Site Admin

Postby redxii » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:43 am

Vista/7 have a bit higher overhead, simply you need a little more processing power compared to XP . I bet you really would only need 2 threads and not all 4 to play the videos smoothly, maybe one of your cores was barely enough and the extra overhead pushed it to needing another.
redxii

Postby tfhavingfun » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:57 am

tfhavingfun

Return to General