[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SMPlayer Support Forum • View topic - What's "ps" in some 8.2 versions file name?

This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

What's "ps" in some 8.2 versions file name?

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

What's "ps" in some 8.2 versions file name?

Postby brittney24 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:39 pm

What the ps stand for in some versions -smplayer-0.8.2-ps-win32.exe/download? Play Station?

Did I miss the memo or is meaning of "ps" common knowledge? First time I've seen it. What ever it is, doesn't appear to be in any portable versions.

But I must need it - it's the most downloaded of the new 0.8.2 versions!
Can't we all just get along? If a computer crashes when no one's around, does it make a sound?
brittney24

Re: What's "ps" in some 8.2 versions file name?

Postby rvm » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:43 am

It means that the installer includes a "promotional screen" from a sponsor. It allows us to get a little bit of money and this way it's not necessary to ask for donations to the users.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby redxii » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:46 am

The software is also completely optional, it is not required for SMPlayer.
redxii

Postby brittney24 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:04 am

OK, I might be up for it. How's the promotional screen work, exactly; or is there documentation on it? As said, 1st time I've seen it.
Can't we all just get along? If a computer crashes when no one's around, does it make a sound?
brittney24

Postby rvm » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:29 am

The screen offers the user the possibility to install a third party application (unrelated to smplayer). If the user accepts to install it, the sponsor sends a few cents to smplayer.

Many applications include this kind of screens, even from major companies, as they allow to earn some money from free applications.

I'll try to add more info about this in the FAQ or a section in the web.

Meanwhile you can find more info .
rvm
Site Admin

Postby brittney24 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:57 am

Many users & I aren't at all opposed to developers of decent freeware (actually works, like SMPlayer) getting paid.

Biggest complaint I've seen about Open Candy is the "reported" way they gather info about your system during installation. I haven't personally checked what they phone home w/ Wireshark, etc., but I've seen a lot of complaints.
May be true or urban legend. Complaints are, they gather data & presumably send it home, before users opt out of offers.

I don't know if any / all of this has changed. Haven't read Open Candy's TOS / Privacy policy in a while. But I've read many complaints saying the same thing. It's not so much that an ad's being served or software is offered, but that allegedly they gather system data AND (if allowed) phone some home before opting out. That's what I've read for a long time. There is a way to run the installers that contain Open Candy from command line w/o running the No Candy software / files, but most don't know about it.

Now, you're offering versions w/o Open Candy, which is quite fair, though I doubt most know what "ps" is in the file name. Personally, I'd rather send a few bucks than have a company scan my system, even if they're not sniffing credit card numbers.

It may not be possible for small developers or businesses to take direct credit card donations rather than through PayPal, but from what I've been told, PayPal's cut on transactions is often more than dealing directly w/ major credit cards. Some wouldn't want to use credit cards directly w/ sleazy, cut throat outfits like SMPlayer Project (kidding, of course)- but I was just curious about fee differences. Especially on smaller amounts, like $5 - 10.
brittney24

Postby rvm » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:43 am

rvm
Site Admin

Postby brittney24 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks. You're being very open & fair about the inclusion of Open Candy, IMO.
I'm no expert on their current practices, but certainly their or any company's policies can change anytime.

If they no longer (or never did) phone home certain system info, & don't scan whether certain prgms are installed - before - users opt out during installation, that's good.

They may be one of the best options for devs' to raise some deserved money for freeware. As I said, one of the biggest complaints about them & some other similar companies is, a 3rd party is scanning users' systems.
If users opt in to receive ads / offers, it's more efficient to offer something you don't already have, but many users simply don't want a 3rd party scanning their system - at all.

Aside from system scanning (or none), for users to know the 3rd parties policies, they must re read 3rd party Agreements & Privacy Policies, at - every - software update. And be able to understand those documents, which can be confusing & vague. Since many users don't even read agreements of the main software being installed, doubtful they'd read a 3rd party's legal documents. Which is good, for raising extra money.

Re: PayPal's cut. My VOIP provider said for small amounts, PayPal's / Google's Check Out fees are so high, it's prohibitive to allow customers to make $5 - $10 purchases. Fee schedules may vary depending on business' total $ volume thru PayPal.
brittney24

Postby rvm » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:47 am

All companies that offer similar services to opencandy have to check the user's computer to see if it already has installed one the applications they offer or not. It would be silly to offer to install an application that the user already has. They also need to know if the user finally agreed to install the offer or not, and the country (some offers are only available for some contries, besides the amount they pay depends on the country), and other info like the OS. At least opencandy is clear, they require all applications that use their network to display their EULA in the first screen which explains the info they get. Others don't.

They also check that the applications they offer are harmless for the user (no viruses and so on) and are easy to uninstall. Others may not do this.
rvm
Site Admin

Return to General