[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SMPlayer Support Forum • View topic - some bugs + some feature requests

This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

some bugs + some feature requests

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

some bugs + some feature requests

Postby Cosmin3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:17 am

Hi.
Sorry for my english.

I use Fedora 18 x86 (Fedora 17 until a few days ago).
My computer has an AMD x64 3.2 GHz dual core, NVidia GeForce video card (driver
installed), 4GB RAM.
SMPlayer version: 0.8.3
mplayer version: 1.1-3.20121008svn

I think that SMPlayer is the best Linux video player (it's a good player in
Windows too but I don't use that version, only for Linux).
However there are small problems and things that can be improved:
1. The video equalizer influences how other video applications works. For
example if I start tvtime first, I see ok; if I start SMPlayer, I increase
brightness, close SMPlayer and start tvtime again, now it has brightness too
high.
On my computer I increase brightness in each video application.
But because of this bug I have to reset brighness in SMPlayer each time before
closing it. Or to restart KDE...
Could you please fix this...?
2. I zoom in and then I cycle aspect ratio; SMPlayer "forgets" the zoom until I
change in or out fullscreen or I use again zoom in/out.
Could you please fix this too..?
3. One thing that few video players in Windows and no video player in Linux can
(as far as I know) is to keep the size and the position of the subtitle constant
on screen for any movie (resolution) and even for any zoom value (in
fullscreen).
Most video players (SMPlayer/mplayer too) "embbed" the subtitle into the video
stream. This is the "safest" way but it's more difficult to control the size of
the subtitle. But still you can have some control by changing the size of the
font when a different movie is loaded and/or the user is zooming.
In SMPlayer I tried Preferences >> Subtitles >> Font and Colors >> Enable
normal subtitles >> Autoscale. Unfortunately it doesn't really work so I have
to manually adjust the size of the subtitles every time I load a movie with a
different resolution.
And if I zoom the movie, the subtitle is zoomed as well. It shouldn't.
I hope you'll implement a better function for this...
4. In fullscreen I change the position of the video image on screen; I set out
of fulscreen and back - the position is reset to center. The player should
remember the position...
5. In preferences if I check "Pause when minimized"; I pause the movie, minimize
and restore the player window; it starts to play again. It shouldn't do that.
It should start to play only if the movie was playing when the window was
minimized.
6. "Close when finished playback" should close the player only if the movie was
started externally. For example when the user double click on a video file,
SMPlayer is started, loads the movie and, when finishes playback, closes itself.
If the player started SMPlayer first I don't see the point in closing SMPlayer
also.
Oh, and it's fun to close SMPlayer clicking on Next button :D
7. Sometimes when I change a shortcut in Preferences >> Keyboard and mouse, the
Preferences window is suddenly closed. It's like (internally) an exception was
raised and the window was forcibly closed.
Because of that now I always click on Apply after changing each shortcut (so I
don't lose the previous changes), which is annoying.
8. "Threads for decoding..." should have an "auto" choice (enabled by default).
In this case the player could autodetect the number of core/processors and set
automatically the best value.
9. "Default zoom" could have also "auto" value (which is "Auto zoom").
10. "Auto zoom" it doesn't help much now because it cuts too much (most of the
times). The user could choose the percentage of how much to zoom, where 0%
means no zoom and 100% means that is zoomed like it does now (both black bars
dissapear).
For example I prefer a 33% auto zoom. If the black bar has n pixels width it
means that the movie will be zoomed 1/3 * n pixels on that side and 1/3 * n over
the other black bar.
11. The subtitle type (UTF-8, UTF-16 or normal) can be easily detected (by
header and/or content). So the user won't have to go to Preferences each time
it loads a different subtitle type.
12. When the subtitle has a different name (but pretty close to the movie name),
it isn't automatically loaded.
13. A "Preamplification" (for audio) function would be useful since some movies
have poor audio level (maximizing the audio volume is not helping).
14. Default player for many video files types. I know it's not that easy in
Linux...

I think some of them were reported before on the bug tracker or on the feature
request tracker, sorry about that.

I know it's a lot of work to implement these changes but I hope you will at
least think about that...

Thank you.

Best regards, Cosmin
Cosmin3

Re: some bugs + some feature requests

Postby rvm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:41 am

rvm
Site Admin

Postby Cosmin3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:06 am

Yes, it worked, thank you.

Regarding the increase of brightness for each video player: in Windows was very easy because I could do that in the NVidia driver:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/cafd21233051820
But in Linux there isn't such setting. So I have to do it in each video application. The problem is that some of them don't have color controls (like the youtube flash player on browsers).
Looks like SMPlayer has what I was looking for (a global setting). The brightness could be set at Linux startup. Question is: is there a way to do that automatically without playing any movie (so far it does that only if I play a movie)?
Thank you.

Later edit: I just noticed another bug. If I check "Add black borders in fullscreen", start a movie and pause, SMPlayer starts to play the movie when I switch to fullscreen and back. Not only that, it skips a few seconds ahead (even if it wasn't paused).
I understand why mplayer should reopen the movie (to add/remove black bars) but still it doesn't have to play when was paused and it doesn't have to lose those seconds.
Question: when mplayer reopens the movie, it has to be played a while to correctly display the movie in the video window?
If so, I can somehow understand why when I modify most of the settings on a paused movie, it starts to play.
However, is it possible to do only a short playback (1 ms, 10 ms, 100 ms...)? The user will not notice it but this could be enough for mplayer to render video and audio.
I know another video player where this "technique" was successfully implemented. Yes, mplayer is different, but is it possible to implement this in SMPlayer...?
Cosmin3

Postby rvm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Attachments
nvidia-settings.png
nvidia-settings.png (97.9 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
rvm
Site Admin

Postby Cosmin3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:45 am

Cosmin3

Return to General