This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

can audio output be set to automatic?

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

can audio output be set to automatic?

Postby cellstorm » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:03 pm

(under linux?!?), mplayer commandline has that very nifty function of probing all different output modules instead of choosing a specific one.

so when I am using jack, e.g to run ardour, and I start mplayer (propably for listening a different version of a song which I am editing), mplayer will try alsa, and as alsa is not useable (as jack uses it), it probes for other useable interfaces, and chooses jack to play. So I do not specify which audio output it is using, it chooses it by itself. Thats a very powerful feature, which I haven't seen in any other program so far.

Is this probing mode also possible with smplayer?
This would be really a great thing to have.

thx. cellstorm
cellstorm

Re: can audio output be set to automatic?

Postby rvm » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:23 pm

Select "user defined" as audio output, and type something like "alsa," (with the comma at the end). That way mplayer will try to use alsa and if it's not available it will use another one.

You can also type several audio outputs, something like "alsa,oss,pulse," in that cause it will try to use alsa first, then oss and then pulse, and if none of them are available it will choose another one.
rvm
Site Admin

Return to General