This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

.idx subtitles not displaying

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

.idx subtitles not displaying

Postby endUser2 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:29 am

Hi. Im having trouble with some .idx subtitles.
I load the .avi, load the subtitles .idx, select 'en' for language... and nothing. I read a different/related thread here, but they were running linux and started getting technical with output drivers and my eyes glazed over. Im running Windows XP (32bit iirc) I think Ive had this problem before but Ive been able to find an alternate text type file which seems to work fine. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Ill see if I can attach one of the two .idx files here for review.

...doesnt seem like it. Any help would be appreciated.
endUser2

Re: .idx subtitles not displaying

Postby gitr » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Do you have another file alongside the .idx (.rar or .sub)?

Do those subs work in a different player? Maybe there is a problem with the subs.

.idx file is the description / settings of the .sub file which is actually a succession of images (vobsubs).

Also the mplayer / smplayer log would give more info.
gitr

Postby gitr » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Back with more info:

I tested more and it seems there is a bug somewhere: either smplayer pass of ssa/ass flags or a mplayer bug related to ass. (will have to test mplayer alone later)

If after loading the idx file which has alongside a rar . sub file the subtitles are not showing - disable the SSA/ASS library: Menu: Subtitles / (Untick) Use SSA / ASS library --> this will bring the vobsubs to work.

This will most likely produce a OSD problem but you can disable the OSD.

Tested on latest sherpya mplayer builds and on kovenski build.

Cheers.
gitr

Postby malcolm » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:19 pm

I have the same issue with 0.8.0-1~oneiric1 installed from the ppa on ubuntu 11.10.

The .idx/.sub combination does not display subtitles when using the SSA/ASS library. using "normal subtitles" instead does work.

.srt subtitles are still displayed without issue with the SSA/ASS library.
malcolm

Return to General