This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Any plans to have a media library like WMP ?

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Any plans to have a media library like WMP ?

Postby kutchbhi » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:02 am

Currently I use winamp to organize my music. All my media is neatly organized into playlists/smartviews, and one can instantly switch between playlists. Its really convenient to have instant access to all my media.

In smplayer however the only way of opening different files is to dig through the open dialog. which isn't very convenient. It would be nice if smplayer incorporates WMP/winamp like media manager(library).
are there any plans of having a media library like windows media player in smplayer ? If not , then please consider it as a suggestion!
kutchbhi

Re: Any plans to have a media library like WMP ?

Postby rvm » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:59 pm

It was planned some sort of bookmarks, but I didn't have time to implement it.

Anyway, if anyone knows about an open source library already implemented... it will always easier and faster to use something already done than writing it from scratch...
rvm
Site Admin

Postby MacTheKnife » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:59 pm

In the same vein, I'd like to be able to do podcast downloads and support directly in SMPlayer (I'm a Linux user, so I need an alternative to iTunes and Rhythmbox and Amarok don't have all the playback features that I've grown used to in SMPlayer).

How about adding plug-in support so that some of these less desired features could be developed independently by the handful of people that actually want them?
MacTheKnife

Postby Tory » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Is it really worth pushing smplayer as an audio player/organizer? I don't think it would ever be able to compete with programs like foobar/winamp/songbird/etc. The underlying mplayer just doesn't have the features. What about proper tag reading/writing, gapless playback, replaygain, making that media library perform well with tens of thousands of songs, and lots of other features that are taken for granted in an audio player today (like the podcast request above). Once smplayer goes down that path, people will start asking for all of these features, and even getting the basics right seems like a huge amount of work.

Wouldn't it be better to focus on improving the areas where smplayer is really good at, i.e. being a great video player?

What important feature is it that smplayer could realistically bring over e.g. Winamp as a media manager / audio player (not as a video player)?
Tory

Return to General