This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Suggestion: Drag seeking from anywhere on the seek bar.

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Suggestion: Drag seeking from anywhere on the seek bar.

Postby justaverageuser » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Ubuntu 16.10, installed 16.11.0.

Other players such as VLC, allow you to seek back and forth by dragging anywhere on the seek bar. You can see the still images while dragging.

Unfortunately, this does not work on SMPlayer. In the Preferences -> Interface -> Seeking, there is an option "Seek to position while dragging". I checked it, but it seem to be working only when I exactly clicked the razor-thin seek knob. If I click and drag elsewhere on the seek bar, it just jumps to that location and that is it.

On a high-DPI screen, clicking that thin knob is difficult and inconvenient. Could you add an option to make it behave more like other players? I mean, I want to click anywhere on the seek bar and drag back and forth from there. For reference, please test that action on VLC.
justaverageuser

Re: Suggestion: Drag seeking from anywhere on the seek bar.

Postby rvm » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to implement it.

However if you have a high-DPI screen you can adjust the scale of the GUI in Preferences -> Interface -> High DPI and make it large so that it can be easier to use the knob.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby justaverageuser » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:09 am

Thank you for your support.
I am using 1.5 font scaling, and SMPlayer's UI is automatically scaled fine. "The High DPI" tab is disabled for some reason. It is just that the knob is very thin. Anyways, if the dragging on the seek bar works like VLC, I would not have to click the knob exactly, and the size of the knob would not matter.
I am looking forward to the next version.
justaverageuser

Postby rvm » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:22 pm

The High DPI tab is disabled in the portable version for Windows, or if you use linux, if SMPlayer is compiled with Qt < 5.4.
rvm
Site Admin

Return to General