This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

insufficient performance while playing any 4K video

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

insufficient performance while playing any 4K video

Postby lukand » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 am

Could anyone explain the reason of the following phenomenon. At present I use the computer system equipped with Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66 GHz processor and 4 GB random access memory. The problem is that when I am trying to playback a file of 4K quality with SMPlayer 17.10.2 a video is not in line with a sound (delayed). To my surprise If I employ the VLC media player 2.2.6 Umbrella, the problem does not appear (both video and sound are played simultaneously without any delay). Furthermore, no matter if I run Windows XP or PCLinuxOS 17.07 the result is the same, i.e. the VLC media player 2.2.6 can cope with a 4K video without any problem whereas SMPLayer does not. Is it because of different resources management? If so, is it any chance to improve it in the next SMPlayer releases?
lukand

Re: insufficient performance while playing any 4K video

Postby rvm » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:31 am

In preferences -> performance you'll find several options that can help to improve performance, like enabling hardware decoding or increasing the threads for decoding.
rvm
Site Admin

Re: insufficient performance while playing any 4K video

Postby lukand » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:33 pm

Thank you! I increased the number of threads from 1 to 2 and it solved the problem.
lukand

Return to General