This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Problem with menus in SMPlayer (not DVD menus)

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Problem with menus in SMPlayer (not DVD menus)

Postby bartman2589 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:07 pm

For the last few releases of SMPlayer I've been unable to properly access right click context menu items or even regular menu items via the menu bar at the top of the screen, specifically if the menu has submenus that 'fly open' (as indicated by a triangle pointing to the right) for example in the right click context menu the menu entry labeled "Open" that is supposed to have a submenu attached to it (again as indicated by the presence of a triangle pointing to the right) fails to open for me, same is true of every other menu item on the right click menu that is supposed to behave that way (and as indicated also of menu items accessed in their respective menus on the top menubar). I have tried completely uninstalling SMPlayer by using IOBit's Uninstaller to help remove all remaining traces of SMPlayer after the main SMPlayer uninstaller is finished, and have then manually gone in and deleted the '.smplayer' folder located in "C:\Users\edwin" before reinstalling SMPlayer again. Which has not helped to rectify the issue even when leaving SMPlayer set to it's default install settings (things like choosing MPV or MPlayer, Direct3D or DirectX or OpenGL, etc.....). I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, with an nVidia GTX-660 video card with 1.5Gb video memory and dual displays, along with recent 64 bit releases of SMPlayer. I really like the fact that SMPlayer handles pretty much every video I attempt to play with it generally flawlessly (except when I boot into Linux, under Linux it (and most other media players) often suffers from terrible screen tearing problems even using the proprietary nvidia drivers, but at least the menus work properly for me on Linux). I really want to fix this so I don't have to instead be forced to use an alternative player like VLC or MPC (don't get me wrong I like both, but have historically had problems with configuring the audio output for videos that contain AAC or AC3 encoded audio streams, whereas with SMPlayer it usually handles these videos just fine). I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide with this issue. I should point out that I have not tested to see if the issue occurs with the 32 bit release as I'm specifically trying NOT to use 32 bit software where I can because while 32 bit software may work on 64 bit Windows systems in my experience it suffers a little in terms of performance when compared to the 64 bit versions of the software I use.

Thank you for any help you can provide,

bartman2589
bartman2589

Re: Problem with menus in SMPlayer (not DVD menus)

Postby rvm » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:59 am

I can't reproduce this problem in my computer.

Could you try the development version?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/smplay ... /Unstable/
rvm
Site Admin

Postby bartman2589 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:54 am

Thanks for the reply, just tried it with the most recent Windows 64 bit build (filename smplayer-17.11.2.8808-x64.exe) and unfortunately the issue is still present in that version as well. I'll try to see if it happens if I downgrade a few versions, maybe I can find out at which point the issue started to occur if indeed it is due to a change SMPlayer, hopefully if it works in a previous version then stops in the next newer version from that older version that may help to narrow down the possible cause of the problem.
bartman2589

Postby bartman2589 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:05 pm

Just wanted to let you know I found out what was causing my problem. Seemed to be a bad registry tweak that for whatever reason resulted in an incompatibility with SMPlayer. Specifically a tweak I was using to change the Menu Show delays systemwide so that menus and submenus would only open when I actually click on them (it annoys the hell out of me to have multiple menus and submenus flying open simply because I moved my mouse over them on my way to the menu/submenu I actually want to open, I know how to actually click on the item I want to open so why is it so hard for Windows (and software developers) to wait until I actually choose the menu I'm trying to get to and then (and only then) opening that menu once I have selected it by clicking on it (after all mouse buttons are meant for clicking on things to select/deselect them right?). Anyway it's sorted out (sort of at least, I have to quit using that tweak in order for my menus in SMPlayer to work the way they're supposed to) which totally sucks in my opinion.
bartman2589

Return to General