This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

Finer grained volume control w. mouse-wheel vol cntrl

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

Finer grained volume control w. mouse-wheel vol cntrl

Postby charlesmartel » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 pm

SMPlayer v. 15.11.0 running on a custom ultra-light Ubuntu 16.04, built from the mini.iso with Openbox under X. No DM, no DE per se.

How can I get very fine grained audio volume control, especially at the lower end of the range? Using the mouse wheel, it jumps from inaudible to too-loud with a single increment. That is my most important objective.

Other aspects of wheel control of volume that would be nice if they could be accomplished as part of the solution:
1-Access to the whole range of possible audio volume using JUST the mouse wheel as opposed to using one ui to adjust volume for smplayer & another for the system as a whole (I do the latter with pavucontrol, but that means popping up a gui over smplayer, as well as an awkward multi-step process). In other words, easy access to louder loud settings that by default have to be accessed in multiple steps.
2-a compression to a standard range option that so I don't have to ride the volume control to avoid the Scylla of inaudibility and the Charybdis of waking the whole house.
3-applicability to other media players as well.
charlesmartel

Re: Finer grained volume control w. mouse-wheel vol cntrl

Postby rvm » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Edit smplayer.ini, look for min_step, set its value to 1.
rvm
Site Admin

Re: Finer grained volume control w. mouse-wheel vol cntrl

Postby charlesmartel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:14 am

That does it. Thank you.
charlesmartel

Return to General