This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

[SOLVED] Tray Icon does not work in Cinnamon

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

[SOLVED] Tray Icon does not work in Cinnamon

Postby Mr-Matt-Eastwood » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:16 pm

Hey guys! First of all, I'm new in this forum. Have been a long-time user of SMPlayer and love it. Great app! Thanks for continuing to support it.

I switched to Linux Mint (18.3) and noticed that the tray icon does not work on the Cinnamon desktop.

When closing the player window, it disappears and there is no way to bring it back. A small speech bubble appears in the top left corner of the screen saying "SMPlayer is still running here", but there is no icon anywhere on the screen or in the panel.

I can still control the player through the sound menu in the tray, but the only way to bring back the GUI is to kill the SMPlayer process through System Monitor and then re-launching.

Workaround: Disable "Show icon in system tray" in the options menu.

Would be awesome if you guys could get this one sorted! I'd love to use a tray icon.
Last edited by Mr-Matt-Eastwood on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr-Matt-Eastwood

Re: Tray Icon does not work in Cinnamon

Postby Mr-Matt-Eastwood » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Found the fix! In the options of the sound applet, there's a switch to "Hide system tray icons for compatible players". I needed to deactivate that.
Mr-Matt-Eastwood

Return to General