[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SMPlayer Support Forum • View topic - something in winXP seems to disable subtitles

This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

something in winXP seems to disable subtitles

Problems, bugs, suggestions... anything related to SMPlayer.

something in winXP seems to disable subtitles

Postby chipper » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:54 pm

SM player seems to be working well. I've used it for more years than I can recall. I just loaded it onto an old winXP box and it displays well, but I cannot get any subtitles with either builtin titles for .mkv or external .srt files. This does not seem to be a bug it smplayer, but something I'm missing in the XP. Anyone know what I may be missing or what I might have done wrong? I started on that machine with ver17 (32bit), and yesterday installed the latest ver18 (32bit), but it just doesn't work with subtitles.
chipper

Re: something in winXP seems to disable subtitles

Postby redxii » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Close SMPlayer editing C:\Program Files\SMPlayer\MPlayer\fonts\fonts.conf with Notepad or other text editor:

Change this line:

<!-- <dir>WINDOWSFONTDIR</dir> -->
1.png
1.png (6.78 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

to this:

<dir>WINDOWSFONTDIR</dir>
2.png
2.png (8 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

Save the file and retry.
redxii

Postby chipper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:54 pm

thanx, will try that
chipper

Postby redxii » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 pm

Also check to make sure subtitle visibility is enabled, toggled by default with the V key or in the Subtitles menu.
redxii

Postby chipper » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:48 am

thank you, I've done the "v", and am hoping when I get home this eve the edit of that file will help (also found a driver for the monitor in case there was some lost info about screen layout with monitor set to plug&play)
chipper

Postby rvm » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 am

I can't reproduce the problem in my computer with Windows XP :?
rvm
Site Admin

Postby chipper » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 pm

thanks for all the time to reply - got over all this hassle today by buying a used win7 'puter with nice graphics - I'm way too old to be messing with a defective XP box that I thought I could fix up quickly
chipper

Postby chipper » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:22 pm

update

reloaded the OS on XP machine and find that subtitles work only on files that do not stress the hardware - 1080 movies seem just too much for this machine and cause problems with subtitles and with keeping video & audio in sync

machine is just too slow to keep up - definitely not an smplayer problem
chipper

Return to General