Development has been resumed

The latest news about SMPlayer.

Re: Development will be resumed

Postby stevo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:25 am

The programs may be accessing the net to check if any subtitles are available at opensubtitles.org for that particular file name. [/wild hand-waving guessing]
stevo

Postby redxii » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:47 pm

SMPlayer listens on a random local port to prevent multiple instances which might be thought of connecting or wanting to connect to the internet, otherwise I can't see any connections opening while starting a video.
redxii

Postby ganymede » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:58 pm

redxii wrote:SMPlayer listens on a random local port to prevent multiple instances which might be thought of connecting or wanting to connect to the internet, otherwise I can't see any connections opening while starting a video.

I guess that is what it's doing, but I wish the firewall wouldn't light up every time i play a local file. I went in and blocked SMplayer in the firewall from accessing the network, so maybe it is just checking for multiple instances.

Regarding UMplayer, I didn't see anything of interest with the exception of Youtube etc. which I don't really understand why one wouldn't use a browser on Youtube. Also it is possible to download Youtube videos with the right plug-in on Firefox. I was using version .98 Umplayer, which I found to be much slower than SMplayer playing local files on Windows XP SP3. By slow, I mean it would skip a lot of frames, even 5-10 seconds at a time, on higher resolution video. I think the focus with UMplayer development is purely Youtube and/or Shoutcast. It would have been nice if UMplayer improved the interface, for instance by making it easier to define keys or making it possible to queue a large number of music files from Explorer the way that WinAmp does. I don't know why Umplayer reprogrammed the arrow keys either. If I ever see a feature that represents some kind of improvement for playing local files, without making playback slower, then I might try UMplayer again.
ganymede

Postby rvm » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:43 am

ganymede wrote:Regarding UMplayer, I didn't see anything of interest with the exception of Youtube etc. which I don't really understand why one wouldn't use a browser on Youtube.

In linux the performance of the flashplayer is very bad (I can't watch youtube videos on fullscreen), so in this case is useful to be able to play the youtube videos with other players.

By the way, I've just added a very basic support to smplayer for youtube (svn r3672), now it's possible to open urls like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq4Oj5quskI in smplayer. (The default quality for the videos is 360p/mp4)
rvm
Site Admin

Postby ganymede » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:38 am

rvm wrote:
ganymede wrote:Regarding UMplayer, I didn't see anything of interest with the exception of Youtube etc. which I don't really understand why one wouldn't use a browser on Youtube.

In linux the performance of the flashplayer is very bad (I can't watch youtube videos on fullscreen), so in this case is useful to be able to play the youtube videos with other players.

By the way, I've just added a very basic support to smplayer for youtube (svn r3672), now it's possible to open urls like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq4Oj5quskI in smplayer. (The default quality for the videos is 360p/mp4)

That explains why online games were so slow in Firefox under Linux Mint 11. I eventually gave up on Linux due to hardware incompatibilities and resumed using Windows XP. I think SMPlayer is one of the best for Windows XP. I tried VLC Player, but it lacked the ability to, with a logical, single press of an arrow key--not using a mouse at all--step frame by frame, go in slow-mo, or increase speed, which are essential options that date back to the time of VCR's. One would think that every player in the world would support these options which all of us grew up using. I don't know any player that does except SMplayer and its derivatives. I have downloaded and installed VLC many a time and always wind up uninstalling it because it does not have these capabilities.
ganymede

Postby rvm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:34 am

Surkow wrote:And don't forget frame-exact seeking which is not limited to keyframes - an often requested feature on the SMPlayer forums. I already relayed this over a year ago to rvm.

Precise seeking implemented in svn r3766. Of course, it only works with mplayer2.
rvm
Site Admin

Re: Development has been resumed

Postby monogato » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:18 pm

I´m so glad of hearing that. Thank you so much! SMPlayer is, even after so long, the best player by far.
monogato

Previous

Return to News