[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SMPlayer Support Forum • View topic - [Request] OSD Additions/Improvements & Icons

This forum is deprecated. Please visit https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/discussions

[Request] OSD Additions/Improvements & Icons

Forum to talk about the development of SMPlayer (code, patches...).

[Request] OSD Additions/Improvements & Icons

Postby BishamonXa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:27 am

Seeking:
When seeking, show [current-time]/[overall-time] along the seek OSD bar.

The reason for this is basically the same as the current volume OSD (numeral value + bar). In many occasions it helps to know exactly what value you're at, this is especially the case in non-desk setups, such as a PC connected to a TV and so on.

OSD makes it clear enough, with the other option we have right now is adding time to the float control bar, which can be unreadable from a distance.

Show file name at start:
Basically to show the filename whenever you open a file a couple of seconds. Similar to the current audio track OSD at the start.

Reason for this is similar to seeking, however it is also useful in playlists playing in fullscreen. If for example you decide to binge watch a show on your TV, after a while one can lose track.

While the current show info (Shit + I) is definitely helpful, it fills up the screen and requires more interaction, similar to that of "Stats for Nerds" on Youtube.

A simple 1 or 2 seconds flash of "Media title, if empty show filename" would be great at the beginning of each file.

Associated files icons:
This is something that isn't really needed for Linux, since adding an icon pack to the operating system or to specific MIME types is rather common.

You've mentioned that you would only want to use open source icons for SMPlayer. If so, I would highly recommend using the Papirus icons set, of which you already include their SMPlayer skin. They're open source and well maintained, though for MIME Types you can use a singular icon as you do now or multiple for each type.

Important note about this post:
I fully realize that SMPlayer exists as an open source project and is developed in its entirety by dedicating free time to provide something for everyone to enjoy.

I sincerely thank you for your efforts.

In no way I am demanding these features to be implemented, but I definitely wish for them. The reason I created this post is because I found myself viewing and sometimes even replying to older posts, which felt wrong (reviving dead topics).

I definitely hope I could help push patches myself, though it will take me quite sometime to even do basic things. I'll absolutely try though, so wish me luck.

Keep up the great work.
BishamonXa

Re: [Request] OSD Additions/Improvements & Icons

Postby rvm » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:39 am

Well, right now there's a way to show the filename in the OSD just when playback starts:
* select mplayer as multimedia engine in preferences -> general
* in preferences -> advanced, in the "run the following actions when a file is opened" field type show_info_osd
rvm
Site Admin

Postby BishamonXa » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:56 pm

That's awesome. I currently use the mpv engine. I'll definitely follow your suggestion.

Thanks for your efforts. Hope you consider the suggestions.

Happy holidays.
BishamonXa

Postby rvm » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:43 am

From version r8818 it's also possible with mpv, just adding "--osd-playing-msg=${filename}" to preferences -> advanced -> mplayer/mpv, options.
rvm
Site Admin

Postby BishamonXa » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:33 pm

BishamonXa

Return to Development